Dr Lucio D’Anna obtained his MD with Honours at the Medical School of the University of Udine, Italy and then he completed his Neurology training with Honours.
Your initial consultation will be with a neurologist that has a specialisation in diagnosing and treating Multiple Sclerosis. We place great focus on our clinical staff and their ability to deliver an accurate assessment. Any delay with the diagnosis of a serious
The diagnosis of MS is a very elaborate and complicated process as there is no single test that can point to the condition. This is because MS manifests itself with a multitude of unconnected health symptoms and it requires multiple clinical tests to be confirmed. The testing for MS can be broken down in the following areas:
- Neurological consultation & examination
- MRI brain & spinal cord scans
- Evoked potential test
- Lumbar puncture spinal fluid test
- Blood tests for vitamin deficiencies
It’s not clear what exactly causes multiple sclerosis. There has been reported that a genetic predisposition based on parental DNA can have an effect in your chances of suffering from MS.
Possible causes of MS include:
- Genetics: People who are related to someone with MS are more likely to have the disease
- Lack of sunlight & vitamin D deficiency: MS is more common in countries that have less sunlight with lower vitamin D levels
- Viral infections: infections such as glandular fever might trigger MS
- Smoking – Smokers are almost twice as likely to develop MS in comparison to non-smokers
Treatment for MS depends on the specific symptoms and difficulties the person has. It may include the treatment of relapses of MS symptoms (with steroid medication), treatment of specific MS symptoms, or for example treatment to reduce the number of relapses (disease-modifying therapies).
In the cases of increasing neurological disability, it is essential to sufficiently support the patients in their rehabilitation and disability management needs. In every case, the patient is supported by a team of many healthcare professionals working together.